Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Product Spoof - Piranhas vs. Goldfish

This has got to be one of my favorite projects I've done so far while attending DMACC. It was an assignment for my Illustrator class during the fall of 2009. We were told to create a product spoof utilizing Adobe Illustrator.

I first began by researching different kinds of products and making lists of the ones I could quickly come up with something clever to change and mock the original. A couple of the other ideas I had were "Waffler Crisp: The Official Cereal of Hillary Clinton," instead of Waffle Crisp, and "Senior Mints: Denture Cream in Pure Chocolate," instead of Junior Mints.

I however, realizing with my limited knowledge of Adobe Illustrator at the time, that "Piranhas: The Snack That Bites Back" would be the best choice.

I once again, began making sketches of different hybrids of piranha and goldfish. I also started researching different artists online and really taking a look at what sorts of colors they were using. I then began researching fonts and looking into what the fonts were that made up the different logos and text on the bag. I however, not being able to find them using myfonts or other resources, ended up having to draw out most of the letter in Illustrator by myself.

I like the end result very much. I'm happy with the colors and placement of various elements. However, I do think I could do much more with the background now. I think something more could be done to make it appear less flat. All in all though, I am still very pleased with the underlying concept and final production of the piece.

1 comment:

  1. This was a fun assignment. I wish i could have got mine finished the way i wanted it. Yours turned out great and I like the main piranha on the package. Well designed.

    ReplyDelete